The Alchemist by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho became my all time favorite book after just one read. The book sold more than 65 million copies worldwide in more than 50 languages and has since then become an international bestseller. It has also been acknowledged and praised by Will Smith and Oprah Winfrey.
I read The Alchemist over a year ago for school and it instantly became my favorite book I’ve ever read. I couldn’t wait to grab my own copy of it so I could mark the quotes that resonated with me the most. It’s a constant reminder that your dreams are worth chasing.
Summary // A young shepherd named Santiago has a reoccurring dream of finding treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. With encouragement from a couple strangers, he sets off on a journey to find the hidden treasure and encounters multiple obstacles along the way.
Here’s a quick list on some of my favorite sayings in this fable.
01. “At a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the world’s greatest lie.”
We have control over our own lives, and if you feel that you don’t, you can take it back at any second. We’re the only ones holding the pen to our story and no one can take that away from us.
02. “I’m afraid that it would all be a disappointment, so I prefer to just dream about it.”
No one wants to fail, but failing is a part of the process. We’re not going to gain success instantly no matter what we’re chasing after in life, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try.
03. “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too”
Your vibe and the space around you is very important. Whether you have a positive or negative mindset and broadcast that to the world, you’re likely to get that same energy back.
04. “The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
No matter how many setbacks you come across, you shouldn’t give up on what you desire in life.
05. “Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
We all come across people who love to share their opinions about other people’s lives, but don’t accept opinions on their own. Don’t let people talk you into living your life the way they want you to or the way they think you should. Everyone’s on a different path and whatever we choose to do with our lives is entirely up to us.
06. “You will never be able to escape from your heart so it is better to listen to what it has to say.”
Always listen to your gut, because it’s usually right.
07. “People are capable at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.”
It’s never too late to chase a dream.
If you’ve never read this book before, I highly recommend it. There’s so much from this book that you can take into consideration and apply to your own life.
If you want to check it out, click here!